Keep Lettuce Crisp Longer!
Never Buy Bag Lettuce Again!!
There are so many tips that I want to share with you and with summer coming a lot of people tend to eat more lettuce. And a lot of people often wonder How do I store lettuce so it lasts longer?
How often do you eat green salads at home? How many times did you buy lettuce with the intention of making salads, only to forget about it, and then find a wilted slimy mess in your veggie bin a week later? You have tried to solve that problem by buying the expensive pre-washed bag lettuce but your disappointed with the quality and taste of the lettuce. Not to mention that pre-washed bag lettuce has that funky smell… What is that??
Here’s a few tools you will need:
- Plastic lettuce knife
- Salad spinner
- Lemon juice
- Gallon size Ziploc bags
- Paper towel
- Cut your lettuce to your liking
- Place lettuce in spinner and fill with real cold water DO NOT PUT ICE IN
- Add 2-3 Tablespoons of lemon juice (this helps with keeping the edges for turning brown & cleans the lettuce)
- Let the lettuce soak for 20-30 minutes (this will help revive a wilted lettuce also)
- Drain and spin lettuce dry. You may have to empty the water out of the spinner bowl and spin again.
- Place about 4 pieces of folded paper towel in the bottom of the gallon size bag
- Fill bag with your freshly washed & dried lettuce
- Seal most of the bag and with just a little opening left in the bag press down on the bag forcing as much air out of the bag as you can
- Air and moisture is what causes the lettuce to turn bad quickly
- Seal the rest of the bag closed